Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Three Amoosegos

At times there have been four bull moose in our backyard.  Mostly, these three have been eating, fighting, and generally hanging out in our neighborhood for the last 3 weeks.  I just can't believe how lucky we have been.  It is very unusual to see bull moose and they are usually solitary creatures.  During the rut, which is now, obviously, moose are known to give up eating. These three have been eating plenty.  In fact, today, they nibbled on our bushes, dying flowers, and the carrots that I haven't fully harvested.  They only ate the greens, I'll just have to dig up the roots.  
The next two pictures show the two larger moose deciding whose in charge.  Guess who won? Here the bigger moose is pushing hard against the middle sized moose.  I got some of it on video and will be adding it later.   Video of the moose battle: A few weeks ago, it was warm, sunny and nice.  I was home because we were having a window repaired.  I'm soooo glad I HAD to stay home.  :-)
Mugging for the picture are the smallest and the biggest of the three moose.   This was before the little moose realized he didn't have a chance.  LOL 
In this picture, the Big moose gave the little moose some rut lessons.  First you lock horns, then you push.  The big guy wasn't really pushing hard.  I think he knew this young bull wasn't a threat.  
Big moose takes a rest.  It's hard work being a teacher.  

No comments: