Monday, January 19, 2009

Commercials and the young mind

Cedric and Blake used to hate commercials.  "Fast forward please!", they would demand of me until Cedric learned how to work the remote control.  Then one day, they started watching the commercials.  They won't let me fast forward through them anymore.  The funny thing is their responses are exactly what the commercial marketers intend.  Each time there is a commercial for those space bags or that mini hamburger maker...you know the one...where you can make your own "sliders".  Oh...yea...that sounds good to me.  Not!
The boys aren't cynical yet and that is good, except when it comes to commercials.  After commercials aimed at adults, they say "Oh Mama!  You HAVE to get one of those.  We NEED that!"  After the toy commercials, Blake will say, "I wish I had all of those."  Luckily, they forget what the product is as soon as something else comes on.  I fear for when they start to ask for things long after the commercial is done.  I can't wait until our DVR is smart enough to self edit out the commercials.  I can hope can't I?  

1 comment:

Tiffanie Hage said...

Oh girl...I can so relate! We don't watch a whole lot of TV but there are ocassions that we'll just turn it on and Ethan, my bleeding heart, will have us sending money to feed the starving children, or saving the endangered species, or buying the newest knife on the market...you name it, according to him we REALLLLLLLLY need it! LOL